The Yartz

On November 13 I put my art out there for the first time in years. When I say Out There I mean in a little room above a cafe called La Niche in Collingwood, on Smith St. And I'm sharing the show with fellow comic Trav Nash, who paints.

We've been mates since I started doing comedy in his room, also on Smith St, the Death Star Canteen, downstairs at a good bar called Caz Reitops. I like the idea of two stand up comics putting on an art show. I hope we keep doing that, it's an angle.

Over the weekend I had a minor breakthrough when I found a little lamp on my scrounging travels. The sculptures are Big Balls and Small Balls and the Small Balls were looking pretty shaky until I sat one on a lamp. Turns out my balls look good lit up from underneath. I'm sorry, but I've got to make this memorable at any cost. That's marketing.

I've always scrounged, I used to make chairs out of recycled parts, including asbestos brake pads for arm chairs. That wasn't me making a statement, that was just clueless. The chairs are twenty years ago and because I got a shit education I've also been pretty clueless about how to have an art career.


 Being an artist has been weird for me, like being an actor, part of a strange tribe with it's own odd conventions. But that's where I fucked-up, because I was all wrapped up in what it meant about my identity. Identity is bullshit and it feels solid to be making wire objects that are about interconnectedness and nice shit like that.

A mate told what I'm doing is Networkism and I'll go along with that, sure. I am an intellectual and super attracted to the idea my art means something, even if I'm too close to it to put it in words. Yeah, let's go with Networkism.

The show will be Trav's paintings and my sculptures lit up with whatever lamps I can scrounge, so it's going to be very bright in that room. Bring one of those hand fans.

Art Exhibition the work of Sean Bedlam and Travis Nash  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hotdog Warlord

The Exciting Apple Vision Pro

The Horribly Disappointing Not Revolutionary Left