More Like Re-Spewnion

When I got news of a 20th anniversary high school reunion there was zero fucking risk of me going because a) I was a marginalised unit back then, so the idea of hanging out with people who weren't interested in hanging out with me felt like mild child abuse of my adult self and b) I felt I had nothing to report.

What am I going to say? "I have tried lots of things and bailed on them as soon as they got good because I am not emotionally equipped to have a good time. I mean, I think I'm getting better, but I strongly suspect the mental health system has let me down quite badly and have no real idea how fucked in the head I might be right now. How are you? I probably don't care because I'm an artist and you're not and I have purposely lived in an arty farty bubble since I was 21 and have zero ability to feign interest in normal people's lives. It's the price I pay for only ever being around people who want to be stars. Look, I'm too a) fucked up and b) interesting to be here, but I can't leave because I drank as much as I could as soon as I got here and wouldn't be able to make it through a doorway or operate a door knob or

Anyway, so I stayed away from that opportunity to implode in front of classmates who are now fat.

Trying to do interesting things and be original is scary and lonely. It's scary because it's lonely. I say 'trying' because originality may be unattainable. Trying to reach the unattainable and saying that out loud is a good way to be lonely. In Australia the vibe of strict casualness is a very poor fit for those of us who wish to be fucking marvellous and shit.

I was sitting with comics and we were talking about how to lie to people at a reunion. Comics are at the bottom of the showbiz ladder, I know this because hopelessly middle class comics never shut the fuck up- and I mean on stage- about the lack of status. So let's get this straight: you want to be sort of like a rock star but you also want to fit in with people whose lives revolve around house, kids and boring job? You want their respect? You're a fucking idiot.

I didn't go to that reunion because I haven't settled into any kind of groove that makes sense to normal people. But that's the deal. Be an artist or fuck off.

Death to all but metal!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hotdog Warlord

The Exciting Apple Vision Pro

The Horribly Disappointing Not Revolutionary Left