Your Truth Is Not Likeable

It's Tuesday and I'm two days into work on a Fringe show, which right now looks like it's going to be about the way conspiracy theories are going mainstream and ruining all life. I was into that madness before social media went big, however when I crapped on about terrible threats and dark forces I had to do it under the burning heat of actual eye contact. Which cured me. Now people are egging each other on (circle jerking) online, they're creating their own weather (a circle jerk) and things aren't looking good for stories that aren't part of a (circle jerk). Great time to wank publicly though, so yay for that.

Superfoods. 9/11 Truth. People having delusions of grandeur about food(!) because they think it's probably best for everyone if all finicky middle class people live forever. Folks wanting to share the unique wow factor story that governments lie. Wellness. Truthness. We're in trouble unless people work out that stories are just stories, but tragically every human at birth wins a lifetime supply of bullshit for personal use so we're up against it. Will this be another civilisation defeated by it's own denial? Should we put people who will believe anything in camps? Yes.

Indulging in paranoia in an open-ended sort of sandbox video game way is a lot of fun. It gives you a hobby, a sense that you're Onto Something and it's a great distraction from the hard work of getting a fucking grip. Yeah, sure, mainstream media is a weirdly tiny window on the world. Yeah, sure, journalists often seem to type their article word thingys as if the people in power are capable of telling the truth. But no, dude, you don't get to make shit up out of thin air and fever and be taken seriously.

I recommend looking at conspiracy theories, maybe, if you know how to relax and have some social skills, otherwise don't bother, it'll turn you into an arsehole. I've had dudes corner me with their 9/11 business, breaking my ears, but I only ever learn two things: these guys never seem to have an actual point, and if they do have one? Well, mate, the truth is safe with you because no one wants to hear it from some guy who won't shut up. I don't believe anything a Government has to say and they're actually in charge, so why would I listen to an irritating random guy who isn't giving me any facts to play with?

The last time I was cornered by a Truther I listened very politely, this time not at all stressed out by this obsessive nattering away like a very focused ferret. Why? Because I knew this was indeed the very last time. No more listening as if a point might emerge if I'm nice enough. If I do ever find myself in that situation again I will know that aliens are real, have abducted me, are experimenting on me and are replacing my memories with a cover story about being cornered at length by a conspiracy nut.

Anyway, I think my show will be about beliefs and how they are planted in your mind by fuckheads in power and by fuckheads with no power other than an internet connection. It will be fun, it will be 12 shows from September 26 at the Courthouse Hotel, which won the award for Best Venue at last year's Melbourne Fringe. Bye now, I have to write some jokes for months.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hotdog Warlord

The Exciting Apple Vision Pro

Fuck, Dude