I hate my friend Simon Keck

Last night I saw my friend Simon Keck do his show Eating Tiger Dicks. He's sort of ultra cerebral and filthy, moralising and warm hearted, all that good shit. As a comic he tries to do hard things, not gimmicks or anything he's dumbed down for safety, though there's no reason he couldn't be a mass appeal pop entertainer doing exactly what he's doing. I hate him.

Spoiler alert: I am not going to describe the show at all. It's comedy. Comedy is Jesus.



It's great to see a comic talk properly about what he's really interested in, no matter what it is, in such an unaffected yet clearly passionate way. And he's super fucking gross. My God. And in a really good way that doesn't exclude anyone. When he drops invented six letter swear words it's shared joy, not some fucked up hammer of shock. I hate him.

Anger without warmth is just bitterness. I wouldn't call Simon Keck an angry comic, but there is that kind of anger underneath that comes from caring about the world. This is not the self absorbed musing of a person who finds himself endlessly fascinating, it's comedy as a gift to the audience. I hate him.

Simon Keck does a completely different show each year. There is no overlap even in style, it's whole cloth brand new theatre from an excellent stand up comic who insists on complicating things for himself in a way that creates really singular experiences. If he doesn't win an award for Eating Tiger Dicks I guess that's okay, but the dude's a motherfucking star genius overlord. I hate him.

Tickets to Eating Tiger Dicks          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hotdog Warlord

The Exciting Apple Vision Pro

Fuck, Dude