Slaughterhouse of Death

So I wrote a little thing that's sort of a window into how I got fully involved in activism:

Occupy Melbourne: Week One

On Saturday I stayed home and did social media as my mob visited an Air Show that is really an arms fair. They were all tossed out of the event just as they were about to drop a big banner off a fighter jet, but the point was made. I was sent this image from the show. It was too perfect and all I had to do was put in Picmonkey to add some text.


This is the first year of a campaign to #DisarmAvalon2017 and with shit like this going it shouldn't be too hard:

I sacrificed an opportunity to leave the house that night and visit friends to unwind. Instead I got my hands on all the images and video from the day and knocked out a video. As always, working in a window of just hours means my videos may never win any awards, but the plus side is I get it done and get on with my life. Here's what I made in roughly 2 hours of fevered editing:

In that Byte Story (the link at the top of the post) I mention wanting to video people was what got me involved in activism. There's a lot of people using fancy, expensive equipment, but I use a phone and a laptop. It's true I use Apple gear, which is expensive, but very easy to work with and very stable, which is crucial when you are working very quickly and can't afford to lose time. (My current macbook was donated by activists BTW).

I'm a big believer in this work. Activists need to make their media. However they shouldn't be aping mainstream media unless what you're really doing is angling for a job with a co-opted NGO. Slickness doesn't actually mean quality.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hotdog Warlord

The Exciting Apple Vision Pro

Fuck, Dude